Wednesday 19 September 2012

Probability Games and Worksheets

My year 9s have been doing a topic on Probability. I like to start with some simple fun activities, including playing Deal or No Deal online. This group got so into it and wanted to play all the time, so I made a worksheet to justify us doing so!

My method of eliminating composite numbers first seems quite successful. Deal!
You can find my Deal or No Deal Worksheet at a lovely resource site called MathsLinks, in the Maths Faculty section. You have to login but you can do so through google or facebook or various other things as well as registering with the site individually. It is a valuable repository of resources and ideas provided by Maths teachers.

The other game I love is Higher or Lower at subtangent.com, so I made a worksheet for that to, which is also uploaded to MathsFaculty. The Higher or Lower Worksheet is simple theoretical probability.

With both of these, I like to run through the game a few times, discuss the theoretical probabilities on the board as we go, then follow up with the worksheet, and maybe a promise that if there's time the student who does the best work can be the next contestant.

(Oh and it was a good deal, I only had $2000 in my suitcase)

No comments:

Post a Comment