Saturday 25 February 2012

Refreshed

A Saturday spent renewing myself and my motivation for teaching through the experiences and ideas of others has led me to creating a blog.

I'm so full of new ideas and a desire to improve my teaching, little by little, that I'm challenging myself to try at least one new/different/interesting thing each week with each of my junior maths classes.

Week 1:
Year 7: Offer students a "weekend homework menu", an idea I got from Alycia Zimmerman on Scholastic. This offers student choice, differentiation and potential family involvement. Students choose from options that could include practise worksheets, harder problem or puzzle worksheets, games to play at home with their family, projects, website activities or research. I have a clever little group but some of them have struggled with the puzzles I've presented them, so I'm really looking forward to seeing if this helps. Plus it gives me an opportunity to share fun maths games that we don't often have time for in class.

Year 9: Play "4 strikes and your out", another Scholastic idea, from Marilyn Burns this time. Basically it's maths hangman, enhanced with key questions once they have some information and need to make sensible choices from there. I'm also going to try Fist to Five from the Teacher Channel (although I think I'll just call it Zero to Five) as an instant feedback tool. I liked the idea of Dylan Wiliam's coloured cups but this class doesn't inspire me to give them anything potentially distracting or breakable.

Year 10: Run a Count to a Billion (from Mathsisfun) lesson. I'm a bit sick of doing textbook work with this class, but they often struggle with more open-ended tasks and they are a large class. The unit on time seems like a good opportunity to explore some more interesting ideas. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment